Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day off!

Today I took a day off - no games for me to go to. It's been a busy last few days, and I'm about to see either 6 or 7 games in the next 7 days. I figured a day of rest was in order.

Woke up about 2pm and watched the first two games today - Honduras lost to Chile 1-0 and in a very exciting match, Switzerland beat the #2 team the world, Spain 1-0.

After the 2nd game I took a walk and intended to do some shopping, but pretty much every place is closed today because it is a national holiday.
The holiday is called Youth Day: It commemorates the start of the Soweto Riots in 1976 which took place after the apartheid government declared that all black schools were to be taught in Afrikaans, which was a language spoken mainly by white and mixed race people. Protests were held against the apartheid government and troops were brought in. When the dust settled, around 500 were dead.

On a lighter note, I went back to Roman's pizza to try out a Boerizza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPbiAGrCdRM

It was pretty tasty - i got a BBQ chicken one to go with it. As I said in an earlier post, you get two pizzas when you order. The come in a rectangle box...I relaxed after dinner and watched some TV before the game. I had initially planned on going down to a pub to watch, but instead I chose to stay in due to the cold - i had been out once already today.

One thing I have really liked is how everyone is excited about the World Cup, I snapped this photo of a news broadcast where the anchor was even wearing a Bafana Bafana shirt. I couldn't picture this happening on the nightly news in the USA...

Really, that's all that has happened today. Tomorrow will be a bit more action packed as I'm headed back to Soccer City (place where I saw Holland - Denmark) to see Messi and Co take on South Korea. No surprise here, but I'm going to be supporting South Korea!

until tomorrow..... AYOBA!!!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for allowing all of us to follow your time in SA. Try and take some pics of North Korea fans if there are any. Also, please take some pictures of the town, where you're staying and the bars/pubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will do, I'm headed to a pretty big pub tomrorow for the meet of USA fans before we all go to Ellis Park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok great. I would love to see how the Americans are celebrating over there.

    ReplyDelete