Wednesday, June 9, 2010

London - We're halfway there! (living on a plane)

Well, leg one of the trip is in the books and it wasn't the most fun trip I have ever taken. I always do love flying with Virgin, but they had a few problems this time - after about 3 hours of the flight, the in-flight entertainment stopped working for most of the plane (of course, this meant me)... I was just starting to get into "Alice in Wonderland" as well! At least in my middle seat i did get a little bit of elbow room as I was between two not so big ladies.

When we landed at Heathrow, we did wait about 40 minutes before getting off the plane. First, there was a plane already at our gate that was about to leave, and then when we finally pulled in, there was no one there to open the door into the airport for us! BAA (The British FAA) has to be the one to open the doors, and we had to wait another 20 minutes for someone to finally come and do that. It's Heathrow, it isn't like they weren't expecting anyone to be flying in....

Getting into London was fantastic though! The city looked just like it did when I lived here - it felt like a real homecoming. Even the rain came out to say hello - that is part of the reason why I fled to Burger King (where I am posting from) for the free WiFi.

Believe it or not, I have actually seen more Mexico jerseys in London than I have seen England ones!

It's about 7 hours now until my flight takes off for Johannesburg. I do think I have a shot at getting rid of jet lag right away - I didn't get too much sleep on this last flight and I defintely not going to sleep on the streets here right now - so if I plan it right, I should get a full night's sleep on the plane and be up and ready to go when I land in South Africa tomorrow morning. You know what they say about the best laid plans though....

My next update will be from Africa and I really look forward to finally making it down there!

later gang!

1 comment:

  1. I can't ever remember the rest of that song.....da da ta taaa....

    OMG! All those Mexican jerseys must have made it feel like home too I'll bet! Remember all the Mexicans in Berlin? We were surrounded.

    I'm pleased the sights in London were so welcoming. I too think it's like seeing a long-missed friend again,
    continued good travels -

    ReplyDelete