Tuesday, June 22, 2010

South Africa 2-1 France


Hello from Bloemfontein!

Tonight was a bittersweet night here. The host Nation put up a brave fight, but were not able to pull of the near impossible task of getting to the next round. Since they only won by a single goal, Mexico proceeded to the round of 16 on goal difference. It was great to be there for the game that South Africa won in the tournament, and the locals were proud of their team and their nation. It isn't a small feat for an African country to beat one of Europe's powers in a World Cup.

The day started out quite early again with Rick picking me up at my place a bit before 8am. This was the first day so far that I wasn't doing all the driving - in the last two weeks I have driven about 1,500 miles - it has all been worth it though. This drive was 250 miles from Johannesburg to Bloemfontein, and it seemed to go quite quickly. I think the reason it went quickly, is because I slept the first half of the way before taking over the driving so Rick could have a nap as well.

We are staying at an absolutely lovely guesthouse (with awesome shower) here owned by an angel of a woman named Retha. She and her son Roelof and daughter Sylvia have been taking excellent care of us and we are lucky to be in such a place. One day Rick might actually be able to take Sylvia out for a drink - I'll keep you updated on that one!

Now I'll try to get some sleep. I'm very anxious for the USA-Algeria game tomorrow. I almost said that it'll determine if this trip was a success or not, but I have seen and done so much in the last two weeks that this will definitely be a trip I'll fondly remember for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Seems like each day, which are impossible to compare, it does seems like they get better and better. Each experience topping the previous. We're with you, and your South African, Mexican, and the indomitable US team!

    ReplyDelete