Thursday, June 10, 2010

Leaving London / Arriving Johannesburg

I did get a few things done before I left England. I went by my old flat to have a look - not real eventful, but it was nice to walk around my old neighborhood again. From there I took the walk that I used to take to my University. The dean of business was in his office, so we had a nice little chat before I got going to my next stop.




I couldn't leave my old campus without going to my favorite place to study - the local pub! I hung out there for about 15 minutes - mostly talking with one of the customers about the upcoming England - USA game which takes place on Tuesday. The rest of the time was me reminiscing about old times with Rebecca, the nice young girl from California who was working behind the bar.


There was one last stop before heading back to the airport, and that was to Olivia's place.

It was so nice to see my friend Olivia again, It really must have been at least 4 years since the last time we saw each other. I was pleased that we fell right back into our old routine just talking and having a good time, it seemed like the last time we saw each other was only a couple days. Also, all of you NEED to check out her band, The Guilty Ones - they have their first album coming out shortly - http://www.myspace.com/theguiltyonesmusic

I ended up making my flight to Johannesburg just fine and after a short 11 hour plane ride, i found myself in South Africa!


The arrivals area was a party area indeed. There were people from all different countries there starting to make some noise in excitement - and there were those blasted vuvuzelas making noise throughout the airport as well. It was really a great atmosphere. There were even a group of Mexicans that were making all kinds of music and dance right there in the airport. I thought by leaving California I wouldn't see too many Mexicans for a while, but there were all here in Johannesburg to see their country open the World Cup tomorrow by playing hosts South Africa in the opening game of the tournament!



I did manage to find some quieter Mexicans and get a picture taken with them. I don't know why, but for some reason I want Mexico to do well at this World Cup. Too bad I didn't have the room in my suitcase to take my sombrero with me - it is way cooler than this guy's!



Only plans left for today are to have a nice dinner as well as stay up long enough to beat jetlag. I don't know how I'm even still awake. The two flights i took to get here were both overnight flights and there is no way i got over 3 hours of sleep on either of the flights.

Well, I'm finally here and I'm ready to get this World Cup started!

Bafana Bafana!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! Make sure you take more photos and post them here or set up a Flickr account. I'm guessing you're not tired because of all of the excitement of just being there! Have a great time, keep posting, and be sure to stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I'm still awake and going - i'm even starting to get my seventh wind (not to be confused with second wind)... we're about to go out to dinner. Should be exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a rockstar! RedBull and adrenaline are great companions for a trip such as this. You'll sleep when you get home, for now it's time for play and discovery.
    Whilst near Seymour St did you go to KFC? Is it even possible to go to the flat and not stop by for a mini-chicken?
    Thanks for the updates dude, and continued safe travels...

    ReplyDelete
  4. -- oh yeah, where are you going to be watching the opener?

    ReplyDelete
  5. USA v England on "Tuesday"????

    Dude, you are wiped from jetlag, that game is on Saturday!!1

    ReplyDelete