Friday, June 11, 2010

Match Day 1 / Minimum 2 Pizzas

Well, we now have the first day of the 2010 World Cup in the books. What a fun day it was as well. Personally, I spent the first few hours of the day in bed resting from the past two days. I got my grocery shopping complete and my South African phone number set up. With the World Cup tickets, FIFA sends you also a sim card for your mobile so you can make local calls while here. It really was a great idea and I'm glad I have a local number.

Everyone, and i mean EVERYONE was excited about South Africa playing Mexico today. Even the cashiers at the supermarket were all wearing their jerseys. Kids were even popping out of sunroofs blowing away on those ghastly vuvuzelas too!



I made my way to a local establishment called "Barrel's" for the game. The atmosphere in there was great, and I even started to get used to the vuvuzelas (this however, did wear off by the 2nd half).

At halftime the score was 0-0, but early in the 2nd half SA got the go-ahead goal with a stunning strike from Siphiwe Tshabalala... try saying that name five times fast! The dirty Rafa Marquez tied it for the Mexicans with just eleven minutes left which was the final goal of the game. Since the 2nd game, France-Uruguay finished scoreless, everyone still has a good shot at going further in the competition.

On the way back to the place I'm staying, I decided to get myself some pizza. There was one interesting thing about this place - you have to order two pizzas at a time. When you order a small, you get two of those personal pizza size ones. They all come in those old Little Ceasar rectangle like boxes. I saw a pizza on there that I couldn't pass up - BBQ Spare Rib. Now that's a pizza topping. Check out their website if you like: http://romanspizza.co.za

Now I hope I can get some sleep. Tomorrow is the USA - England game. It'll take about 2 hours for me to drive there and I'm very very excited for the game. I honestly don't know what will happen. I won't be surprised if England win - I won't be surprised if USA win. I guess the only way I'll be surprised is if it ends up being a draw.

time to go to bed.



AYOBA!

2 comments:

  1. PIZZA!!!! Seriously, no pictures?

    Dude, you better step up with the pics or I'm going to be very unhappy.

    How is your accommodations? Car? How did that work out? Who helped set you up? Who do you need to bring a present back for besides Liz?

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE! What happened to Green? What sort of hangover is he going to have tomorrow? OMG
    How was the match in person? Is there a Fan Fest? And, how's the weather?

    ReplyDelete